Friday, November 13, 2009

29. The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Milan Kundera
November 2009

I've been asked several times if I have read this book in the past and I was slightly embarrassed to say that I haven't. In some's opinion it is a must read for young adults and professionals.

I was slightly nervous when I began reading it, because I saw potential for a very dry novel. However, Kundera is very unique in the way he portrays his message. The book switches back and forth between straight prose from Kundera and the story which he uses to portray his points. It actually ends up being quite interesting and very unique.

As far as the message he is trying to leave the reader with... its definitely an interesting one. I think I walked away with a sense that no matter how hard you try to rid yourself of responsibility or connections with people, it never will truly happen. It is best to accept your situation in life, embrace it, and live it to the fullest. The characters that seem to do that are the ones that are the happiest throughout. The ones that are constantly trying to either rid themselves of responsibility or change their current situation are the ones that seem the least happy. I'm not sure if that was what Kundera wanted us to take, but I think its a good message nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment