Monday, June 15, 2009

12. Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle Kurt Vonnegut
June 2009

Another one of my friend's favorites. He's been trying to get me to read a Vonnegut book forever and now I understand why. I'm not sure if it was jumping straight from Stevenson or Vonnegut, but this book was so easy to read. I flew through it.

The story was essentially a simple one, however the message was much more complex. I think I only understood what the story was actually about once I was finished and stopped to think about it. Vonnegut has a way of shoving greater themes about humanity into a relatively simple novel. His characters aren't entirely that complex. Its more about the message at the end, than the development of characters along the way.

I definitely want to fit in another Vonnegut book soon. Probably Slaughter House Five, since that seems to be the obvious next choice.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to read one of his books! I'm going to add this to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete