Thursday, June 25, 2009

14. Candide

Candide Voltaire
June 2009

Another attempt to step out of my comfort zone, but also a friend's favorite. It was a very short but dense read. Whenever I read books like this, I try to pick up the Barnes and Noble's Classics versions. It gives you a great background on the history during the time that the book was written and of the author.

If you are unfamiliar with Candide, its essentially a satire about the idea that "everything happens for a reason," or as they say that "we live in the best of all possible worlds." The message that I took away from it, was: you can have all the misfortunes in the world or all the pleasures in the world, but what really matters is having a purpose and a drive to succeed and fulfill your life.

Some deep stuff there! But regardless, like I said, its a very short and easy read and there's no reason why anyone shouldn't pick it up and finish it in an afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment