Monday, July 27, 2009

16. Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin Harriet Beecher Stowe
July 2009

Wow! What a great novel! I remember learning about the influence that Uncle Tom's Cabin had in the minds of people at the start of the Civil War. However, I definitely underestimated how good of a book it actually is. It really is a shame that it is not studied more in American literature classes. From what I gathered in the background information, it has lost a significant part of its appeal due to "Tom plays" that were common in the 1920s. These plays depicted the characters in a largely negative and often degrading fashion. Which is in no way similar to those characters in the book.
All in all, I am really glad that I decided to read this and have suggested to all my friends that they read it too. The book is written so that you meet a core group of characters at the beginning and follow each one of their stories as they separate and eventually come back together. Each story captivates you and holds your attention throughout the entirety of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment