Monday, September 21, 2009

26. Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes Frank McCourt
September 2009

At first I struggled reading this book, simply because of the strong Irish accent that it is written in. However as the memoir progressed, this became part of the charm. It has been a while since I read a true memoir (even though they used to be what I read exclusively) so I forgot what it was like to read something without a true climax and story line. Although, in the end, I remembered why I loved reading them.

Memoirs give you the ability to learn about people from another place and time. You literally get to step into their lives and explore what it would have been like to live right along side of them. Here we get to go to Limerick, Ireland during the great depression and the first World War and live with a family struggling to survive. McCourt has a sequel which I'm hoping follows him once he's made his trip from Ireland to America. I will probably pick it up next year. He has me hooked!

1 comment:

  1. It is a wonderful treat to listen to the audio version, if you get a chance to borrow it from the library. I borrowed it from the library, loved it so much, I had to buy my own copy!
    You'll enjoy 'Tis and Teacher Man, too!

    ReplyDelete