Tuesday, October 20, 2009

27. Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera Gabriel Garcia Marquez
October 2009

Okay. Wow. That took me a while to read. Granted I've started grad school and just become a lot more busy all around, but still, a month!

Not only did my schedule contribute to the long reading time, but also this book! I really wanted to read this because its on all of the "must read" lists and so many friends have said that its their favorite books. Good Lord I hope they are lying. Marquez barely tells a story here. The book is almost entirely character development. Sure there's a pretty interesting underlying story throughout the novel, but in the end I felt that I knew characters but little about what happened with them. There was no build to a climax, it was just a slow and steady narrative the whole book.

I get why people liked it and I think I understand why its a "must read." But One Hundred Years of Solitude is also on all the lists and I'm going to have to build up the courage to start that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment