Wednesday, January 27, 2010

4. Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell
January 2010

This is by far the best book that I have read in a very long time. Its one of those books that I kept passing up in the store for other things, but eventually someone at work recommended it. And I am so glad that they did.

This is the true story of a 4 man Navy SEAL team that is a on a reconnaissance mission in the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan and finds themselves battling over 200 highly trained and armed Taliban fighters. It ends up being the largest loss of life for the Navy SEALs in any one combat mission. Luttrell being the only survivor of the mission.

I don't want to give away anything in the book so I'll end the synopsis there. I really recommend it to everyone. It gives you an in depth view into what many of the men and women in our armed forces are doing while in Iraq and Afghanistan. Luttrell also provides a detailed description of the process one undergoes to become a Navy SEAL. I have always had extreme respect and pride for everything that our soldiers do overseas, but some how this book seems to have strengthened those feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment