Wednesday, August 19, 2009

22. Wolf at the Table

A Wolf at the Table Augusten Burroughs
August 2009

Burroughs is hands down one of my favorite writers. I've read several of his memoirs and I'm amazed on several levels every time I read a new one. I've always been amazed at his ability to recollect so many distinct details of his early life, which he finally addresses in this book. His stories of his childhood both intrigue me due to their seeming uniqueness, but they also sadden me due to the realization that these stories hit home for far to many people in this country and world. Maybe my fascination with his life and the way he tells it is because it instantly makes me grateful for the wonderful life I have and parents that provided it to me.

Outside of the stories, Burroughs style of writing is one that captures you instantly and doesn't ever really let you go. Even when you are long done with the book there seems to be always moments in everyday life that spark a recollection of one of Burroughs stories. After reading four of his books, there are countless times were his stories get mistakenly categorized into the stories of close friends. This is why I can't stop reading them.



No comments:

Post a Comment