Thursday, August 27, 2009

23. Into the Wild

Into the Wild John Krakauer
August 2009

I watched this movie several months ago and was drawn to read it by two different things. 1. I was intrigued to learn more about who Chris McCandless was as a person. I enjoyed learning about his take on life and the world and was drawn to find out what drove him to think and feel that way 2. I wanted to find out how Krakauer would have personally told the story, instead of watching someone rendition. Both desires were materialized through reading the book.

And just a final thought on McCandless. I see the desire for people to chastise him as an ill prepared, arrogant young person. In fact after seeing the movie and reading the book, several of my male friends felt exactly that way. There argument was similar to the ones high lighted in the book: He was selfish. He was stupid. He doesn't deserve any of the attention he has received. However, I can't help but feel the same way that Krakauer does. We have all done stupid things in our day. We have all tested our limits with our parents, with society and with life itself. I've gone skydiving. Even though its very mainstream to do so today, some people would argue that it is an idiotic thing to do. Why risk your life? Because everyone loves the feel of adrenaline pumping through there system and everyone loves do do something different. McCandless was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment