Friday, May 29, 2009

2. Musicophilia

Musicophilia Oliver Sacks
January 2009

Some 5 years ago I read two of Sacks's books, A Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and An Anthropologist on Mars, and enjoyed both greatly. Therefore when Musicophilia caught my eye at the store, I had to pick it up. Sacks is a noted and respected Neurologist/Psychiatrist and gives detailed descriptions and reactions to patients and individuals he meets throughout his practice.

Musicophilia gives the reader several various accounts of people who either have extreme musical abilities or severe deficiencies (such has true tone deafness, etc.)

As you have probably already begun to notice, I am a fan of nonfiction writing. It provides me a way to learn about cultures, practices, careers and places that I might never get to experience otherwise. If you don't need a dominant story line to capture your attention and love to learn about the bizarre circumstances that some people are living in, I would definitely recommend anything by Sacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment